I’m an independent consultant in the Seattle area; I specialize in distributed systems. In the recent past I’ve been a PhD student, engineering director at a failed search startup and a staff engineer at Google.
- Spartan: Numpy compatible distributed arrays.
- Piccolo: Distributed Computing with shared tables.
- Falcon: A fast Python register based Python interpreter.
- FastNet: A flexible Convolutional Neural Network (CNN) framework.
- Speedy: A fast, non-blocking RPC library for Python. Speedy is in active use by several startups.
- MPIRPC: Combines user-level threading with some helper functions for performing collective operations to make a more user-friendly MPI.
- JavaProf: A sampling profiler for the JVM
- QuickCite: Lookup and automatically update bibtex entries.
- Fringe-o-matic: A Better FringeNYC interface
- easy-ec2: Scripts to simplify launching and managing EC2 instances from the command line.
Papers I’ve written or worked on (ordered by date):
- Transaction chains: achieving serializability with low latency in geo-distributed storage systems. SOSP 2013
Yang Zhang, Russell Power, Sixin Zhou, Yair Sovran, Marcus Aguilera, Jinyang Li.
- How fast can we make interpreted Python? arxiv preprint
Russell Power, Alex Rubinsteyn.
- Making Systems More Robust with Flexible RPC Lookup. arxiv preprint.
- Oolong: Asynchronous Distributed Applications Made Easy. APSYS 2012.
Christopher Mitchell, Russell Power, Jinyang Li.
- Transactional storage for geo-replicated systems. SOSP 2011.
Yair Sovran, Russell Power, Marcus Aguilera, Jinyang Li.
- Design and implementation of contextual information portals. 2011.
Jay Chen, Russell Power, Lakshmi Subramanian, Jonathan Ledlie.
- Piccolo: Building fast, distributed programs with partitioned tables. OSDI 2010.
Russell Power, Jinyang Li.
- Document classification for focused topics. AAAI Spring Symposium, 2010.
Russell Power, Lakshmi Subramanian.